Sunday 16 March 2014

My biographical bit, part 9: University 2

Back in my University days (people took more pride in what it was and didn't call it 'Uni'), it was a time for joining clubs and societies because there wasn't the distraction of computers, mobile phones, game consoles or wall-to-wall television. These clubs were joined in Freshers' Week ('Week One')and I joined those for chess (more of that another time), snooker (I was rubbish at that: the best break I ever had was 18), backgammon and, surprisingly for a boring git like me, the Badminton Club.

This was the biggest mixed society on the campus and was extremely successful and popular. Because of this you had to play doubles or mixed doubles and it was great for meeting girls (that weird, unattainable species I knew little about). I had friendships of sorts with two girls called Anna and Elaine, although they didn't seem too interested, and then there was Sarah Binner who insisted on sticking her tits out at any guy with a pulse...I wasn't that cheap or desperate, even if she was. This club was also where I first encountered a guy called Kevin Maughan (an older fellow chemist, it turned out) and he was just awesome. He even played in international events. Some people joked he was really studying for a joint honours degree in Chemistry with Badminton.

With the backgammon, our team got to play others (by arrangement rather than in a league) and there was one time we were in Sheffield near where serial killer Peter Sutcliffe (better known as the Yorkshire Ripper) had struck - and he was still at large! We were glad to get home, even if he only murdered women.

The first week at University was one for organised trips into Nottingham. One of these was to the ice rink where Torvill and Dean used to practice. Regrettably, I was not on a par with them - my first (and last) attempt to skate ended prematurely when I fell over, tripped up a number of other people, and ended beneath them all, rather like in a collapsed rugby scrum!

More University adventures next time.

Jack Orchison
March 16, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment